Only a few ingredients but such a delight! Roasted papaya which is topped off with coconut milk and crunchy granola is an easy and healthy fruit-based breakfast or even a light dessert that is perfect for those of us with a raging sweet tooth that still aim to eat nutritiously. 😉
- 2 firm unripe papayas - green on the outside, slightly pink on the inside (about 400 g each), halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tablespoons coconut / light-brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp dark rum (optional)
- To serve:
- 6 tablespoons coconut milk / cream
- Granola (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 250 C / 500 F degrees. Arrange the papaya halves cut side up in a large baking dish so they support one another and wont tilt or spill.
- In a measuring cup or small pan with a spout, stir together the sugar, lemon juice, ground ginger (and optional rum) until the sugar dissolves. Pour in the glaze to almost fill the papaya cavities. Brush the glaze on all the exposed flesh.
- Bake, brushing papaya edges with melted sugar mixture (it will collect in well of fruit) 2 or 3 times, until mixture is bubbling and papaya edges are beginning to darken, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer to dessert bowls and sprinkle each serving with a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional). Serve hot or warm with coconut milk/cream and granola.