Easy Spinach Falafel
- 400g drained chickpeas (canned)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup spinach, packed
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp red pepper powder
- Sprinkle black pepper
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup (40g) plain / oat / rice flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) sesame seeds
- Sunflower / olive oil, for shallow-frying
- Pour contents of canned chickpeas into a sieve, rinse with cold water under the tap, shake off excess water and set aside for later.
- Combine chopped onion, garlic cloves, parsley, spinach, cumin, salt, pepper and red pepper powder into a food processor. Process all ingredients together until you get a rough meal. When complete, transfer the mixture into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Next, transfer the washed chickpeas into the food processor and coarsely process. but do not make a puree. Transfer this coarsely blended mixture to the mixing bowl containing the previously prepared ingredients.
- Using spoon, thoroughly mix the ingredients until you get an evenly distributed mixture.
- Sprinkle the flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into walnut-sized balls then roll in sesame seeds to coat. Place on a tray.
- Pour oil into a large, deep frying pan until 1cm-deep. Shallow-fry falafel in batches, turning until golden all over, then drain on paper towels.