Lighten up your polenta with cauliflower! This cauliflower polenta is made with cauliflower rice and topped with simple soy sauce sautéed mushrooms. Perfect for a quick, easy and satisfying midweek meal.
- Cauliflower Polenta:
- 1 head of cauliflower (should yield about 450 g of florets)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (140g) fine grind cornmeal
- 4 cups (950ml) vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Soy Sauce Mushrooms:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 250 g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- garlic powder (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- Optional Toppings:
- chopped chives
- chopped parsley
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Working in batches, add florets into a food processor and blitz until you get fine cauliflower rice.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and let that cook for about 30 seconds to release the fragrance. Next, add the cauliflower rice and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the cornmeal and the vegetable broth and stir to mix everything together. Reduce the heat to medium and let everything simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. If you find that all the liquids have evaporated before the cornmeal looks softened, add water, about 1/2 cup at a time. Add the thyme and salt and stir until the ingredients have combined. Turn off the heat and cover the pan with a lid while you cook the mushrooms. The cornmeal will continue to absorb all the liquids.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a separate pan. Add sliced mushrooms and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add a splash of soy sauce (about 2 teaspoons), and a little sprinkle of garlic powder and black pepper.
- Dish up cauliflower polenta into bowls and top with some mushrooms. Sprinkle some chives, or parsley on top. Serve immediately.